Chairman of the South West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) Dr Lackram Bodoe Reported a back-up of medical waste in the San Fernando General Hospital had to do with a delay in payment to Your contractor Rather than the malfunctioning of the incinerator.
Responding to complaints about the risks posed by the accumulated medical waste, which included amputated limbs, needles, and bloodstained items, Bodoe assured the 9 million incinerator installed last year was functioning well.
He said it had been allowed to collect because daily paid employees refused to work on Tuesday.
Speaking with members of the media at SWRHA’s symposium on leadership in the Southern Academy of Performing Arts on Wednesday, Bodoe stated:
“that I wish to provide the assurance that the incinerator itself is working nicely.
“It was a brand new incinerator which was installed last year and the issue had to do with a builder who was supposed to remove the crap and there was a delay of funding and that’s what created a temporary situation yesterday.”
Asked how soon the problem will be rectified, he said:”I’ve only been given the assurance by the CEO that the issue has been dealt with as we speak, therefore that I anticipate at the end of the afternoon it’ll be sorted out.”
Additionally, Bodoe stated the SWRHA was also contemplating introducing a new kind of technology, called the radio wave technologies for incineration, which was more air friendly.
Nevertheless a Public Service Association representative, who wished to remain anonymous, stated the incinerator had been breaking down on a regular basis since it had been installed last year and wasn’t working at this time.
“They even had to revert to the older incinerator and that’s dangerous and damaging to people operating that incinerator.
He said employees took the actions on Tuesday since last week that they were assured that the garbage problem could have been piled.